Whimsical Selfie Quilt with Laurie Ceesay
Saturday, September 15, 2018
9 am - 4 pm Includes 1 Hour Lunch
Create a selfie quilted wall hanging using Laurie Ceesay’s whimsical pattern and a raw edge fused applique technique. Lots of hairstyles, eye glasses and clothing styles (including Halloween, Santa Hats and Steampunk!) to personalize your special quilt. Two small borders frame the project. Finished size: 17” square.
About LaurieLaurie Ceesay is an art quilter, educator, hairdresser and quilt pattern designer. She has a Bachelor’s Degree from UW-Stout, Menomonie, WI, in Clothing, Textiles and Design. Her specialty is portrait quilts of fashion forward women motifs. Laurie’s award winning quilts have been displayed at regional and national juried and invitational quilt shows, in national quilt magazines, quilt marketing materials, a variety of quilt books and she was featured on Quilting Arts TV on PBS and Treasured Quilts of Wisconsin on PBS.
- 11” square background fabric
- 1/8 yd. inner border fabric
- ¼ yd. outer border fabric (all three coordinating)
- ¼ yd. binding fabric
- BATIKS for raw edged fused applique
- 5/8 yd. backing fabric
- 20” square low loft batting
- ¾ yd. 17” wide Pellon Wonder Under fusible web
- Masking tape
- Erasable marker/white marker or chalk if using dark colors
- 05 size black and brown Pigma Micron fabric markers
- Thread to match project and selfie skin tone, black thread for eyes, thread to match lip color.
- Fabric shears/paper scissors
- Pins, safety pins, seam ripper
- Mechanical pencil
- Rotary cutter, mat, ruler
- Sewing machine with ¼” foot and walking foot. Free motion foot (optional)
Laurie will provide 1 pattern/student. Laurie will have “Bonus applique patterns” for additional clothing and seasonal hats (witch and Santa hats/Statue of Liberty hat.) It is optional to provide extra batik fabrics for these items.